Mar 4, 2012

ch-ch-ch-ch-chia! The Power of Chia Seeds.

So for a while now I have been experimenting with the many uses of chia seeds. (When ever I hear the word chia I automatically hear the Chia pet theme song). Many of the recipes for Chia seeds I use are from The Tone it Up! girls and my lovely friend Jess (check em out!).

My chia world was flipped when I found out there was such thing as... chocolate chia seed. OH MY GOODNESS! Crazy stuff right?! (well I suppose its crazy stuff if you are a health seed nut like I am.) I have been having an absolute BALL with it! (and also with my recent purchase of PB2 and chocolate PB2).

So why eat chia seeds?
1) Its is a plant based protein
  • As many of us know, protein is an essential macro-nutrient that our body need for various functions, like muscle building and repair. 
2) Antioxidants
  • Many of us read about this word, but do we know what they do? Well, they help our body rid free of radicals (these of which have been linked with cancer and heart disease) 
3) Fiber
  •  As I always say, this is one element that keeps us full. It also prevents constipation and ..ahem..allows for ...regularity.
4) Important nutrients!
  • Magnesium and Potassium- essential for good health
 5) Ohmygaaa (3)'s
  • Aka. Omega-3s. Gotta add a little omega-3 into your lovely day! 
  • Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Essential means that our body cannot produce it on our own, therefore we must consume it in other ways (the most common being in fish). 
  • This is a polyunsaturated fatty acid that reduces your blood pressure, reduces cholesterol, reduces inflammation, risks of heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, and the list goes on. It is amazing for brain function, which is a good thing to have. Also can help with mood swings.
My favourite uses for chia seeds?
Where did I get mine?
  • my local health food store 
  • I ordered the chocolate chia from iherb.com (along with PB2) 
Enjoy! <3



1 comment:

Bert said...

The "iskiate" as used by the Tarahumara also included lime juice and some sugar, which add some additional nutrients to the mix. I used both in my drink, not knowing if those components might have also helped with the alleged "energy boost" of the drink. If not in isolation, then in combination with the chia components, possibly reacting in some way.

I felt a mild lift from the drink but not sure if it was more than placebo. I had my best run in weeks today when I didn't have chia but instead had a hearty fruitcake-like bread! Maybe it's even better than chia :O.