Apr 28, 2012

Week 1 Update of 8 weeks until Summer Challenge

Eats
This week, I took a look back at previous trackers to see what I needed to improve on. I came to the realization that I was not consuming enough protein. Therefore this week, I really made an effort to add in extra protein and WOW! What a difference! I tamed the taper hunger monster! I feel completely satisfied most of the time and I just feel a difference in my body. I have been having fun experimenting fun ways to get my protein in..egg whites, protein powder, chicken and so on. I felt so ON it this week! My only sweet treat was a hot chocolate and 1 single tim bit from Tim Hortons. Very pleased with myself this week.

Workin' on my Fitness..
I was SO happy to get back to my gym after having to use the little dinky one they had at the hotel in Hawaii. ( I am talking machinery older then I am!...) I went for a run with my friend Olivier, where we were talking so much that we managed to run 10 km, instead of the original 5 km we set out for! I got some really focused strength sessions in twice this week, which is a little less than usual. Mind you I didn't get to Victoria until Tuesday and I have been unpacking Hawaii stuff, and Packing Toronto stuff. (My apartment looks as if a hurricane ran through it!). Either way, I was active every day at least once (sometimes twice! which is always nice.) and I am happy with my fitness efforts this week! Definitely feeling the burn from my strength workouts!

Lets take a look at zee minddd.
So this week, my mind set was very motivated and driven. I have been reflecting a lot on things I want to improve on and one of those things is learning new ways to measure my success. I unfortunately have come to a point where I feel overly obsessed with what the number on the scale is telling me. It scared me a bit to see how much I cared what number flashed on the screen of that mini torture device. I was getting to a point in which I let that silly scale dictate whether or not I was happy or upset for the rest of the day. That is not okay.  So basically, I weighed myself on Tuesday for a starting weight of this challenge. One thing I noted was that I lost weight while away in Hawaii, which is great, but yet again it made my day so much happier. I decided I will not get on the scale for a while now.
Now you may be thinking, how will she measure her week to week success? well. I am just going to go by what I feel, how my clothes feel, pictures of myself, things I notice, and possibly measurements from time to time. I just don't want to feel that pressure of the scale, and feel that obsession because quite frankly it scares me. Matt and I had a talk about this and we have both agreed that it is totally okay to have Tuesdays weight as my starting, and to put the scale away until the end of the 8 weeks. Both of us have goals we have set for the end of this challenge as well as for the end of summer so we will keep working at those!

Last weeks goals
For a refresher they were to track everything, stay positive, and plan ahead. I must say, I nailed each one of those. I had a going away party to go to, so I brought my dinner with me to work and at it on the way to the party so I wouldn't be starved and go off plan! I brought my usual snacks in my picnic basket purse so I wouldn't be stranded without something to eat if I became hungry. I planned out most of my weekly meals and workouts as well. I tracked every little bit of food that went in me and also kept a very happy and positive mind!

Overall
I am extremely proud of this week! I feel uplifted and I have a ton of energy. After a week of really kickin' it to 'er, I feel that my body feels strong and my tummy feels nice and flat again! Definitely feeling strong and ready to conquer the next week!

This Weeks Goals
1. Hydration
2. Don't let the taper crazies get the best of you
3. Plan

Why did I choose these goals? Well as you saw in my last post, I am prepping for my 5th marathon in Toronto and I am packing for that. I leave on Wednesday and the race starts 7:30 am on Sunday May 6 (keep me in your thoughts!). Hydration is key! I am generally good with this but when I am traveling I find I let it slip, so I will bring my water bottle with me! Taper crazies? yes they DO exist. This is what I like to call the weird, self doubting, anxious thoughts that arise throughout the week. I start dreaming of the most ridiculous possible outcomes for race day during the nights, I start wondering "did I do enough training?" when it is quiet obvious I did when looking back at my daily mile, and the butterflies and anxiety of "can I do it?" I am sure "I can do it!" I mean, I have done it before and I have committed to putting the work and the mileage in! Lastly, I put planning as my goal again. I find this must be a goal when anyone is traveling and wants to stay to their healthy lifestyle. I have packed a few things such as bars, protein powder, oats and what not. I am looking at resturant menus to find a place for the pre-marathon dinner. I am planning to use my first day there as an adventure day. To figure out what things are around my hotel and what the roads are like. I am beyond excited for this one you guys! There will definitely be pictures for the blog when I get back!!


Question of the day:
What are some ways that you measure your health and/or weight loss success?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, I'm sure you're going to do great. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

I still measure my success via the scales, as I'm still not at goal yet. But once I am I'd like to think I'd be able to ween myself off them and concentrate more on whether my jeans fit nicely :)